Freshman Admission

Apply as a freshman if you are a first-time college student currently enrolled in high school, or concurrently enrolled in high school and a college (Running Start or Dual Enrollment program), or you have graduated from high school but have not attempted 12 or more college-level credits. Apply for fall semester 2019 at the University of Montana by Aug. 1. Students who apply after Aug. 1, 2019, will be considered for spring semester 2020. 

Freshman Admission is a Three-Step Process




To apply online or print a paper application, click on the Apply Now link above and choose the term you would like to start. You can also apply to UM using the Common Application.



Request that your ACT or SAT results be sent to UM through the testing company. UM's ACT code is 2422, and the SAT code is 4489.



Send UM your official high school transcript upon graduation. The transcript must include your date of graduation and final GPA. The HiSET and GED are also acceptable.

After you're accepted

Next steps
| Housing options | Orientation

Other Types of Admission


Apply as a transfer student if you have attempted 12 or more credits at another college or university. Transfer students may also apply to UM using the Common Application.


Apply as an international student if you are coming from outside the U.S., or you are living in the U.S. under an F, B, H, J, L, or M Visa.

Missoula College or Bitterroot College

Apply to Missoula College if you are interested in one- and two-year programs.

Apply to Bitterroot College if you are interested in taking classes in Hamilton. 


Learn more about applying for graduate programs, or applying for professional programs in Law, Pharmacy, or Physical Therapy.


Returning Student

Apply as a returning student if you previously attended UM and interrupted your enrollment for more than 24 months.


Advanced Options: Earn Credit Toward College Graduation

The University of Montana recognizes alternative means to earn academic credits that can be applied to a college degree in several academic programs. Students should contact the UM Admissions Office for more information. Advanced Options to earn college credits include (but are not limited) to the following:

Advanced Placement (AP)
International Baccalaureate (IB)
College Level Examination Program CLEP
Global Assessment Certificate (GAC)
Prior Learning Assessement (PLA)
Dual Enrollment (DE)

Statement on Admissions Policies Regarding Peaceful Protest Penalties

The University of Montana has decided to join a growing list of colleges offering amnesty through the National Association of College Admissions Counselors (NACAC).  The purpose of joining this group of institutions is to demonstrate that we at UM stand with students impelled to use their voices in meaningful and peaceful ways. We ensure that disciplinary action associated with participation in such demonstrations will not negatively impact a student’s current or future admissions decision.

-Emily Ferguson-Steger, Director of Undergraduate Admissions