Missoula College Admission Requirements

Applying for admission as a student to Missoula College requires checking off important steps.

Application Procedures

  1. Submit a complete admission application and pay the application fee.
  2. Request a copy of your high school transcripts or GED/HiSET certificate and have them sent to University of Montana Admissions.
    • GED/HiSET certificates can be requested from the administering test center.
    • Transfer students who have completed less than twelve credit hours are required to submit proof of high school graduation or GED/HiSET certificate.
    • Transfer students and nontraditional students with more than twelve credit hours must submit official college transcripts.
  3. Submit placement test scores.


Submission of official transcripts issued from every regionally accredited institution a student previously attended are required for an application’s review, regardless of whether credit was earned or its applicability to your degree plan at UM.

Have transcripts or GED/HiSET certificates sent to:

Lommasson Center 101
32 Campus Drive
Missoula, MT 59812

Placement Scores

Placement tests in writing and/or math are required if the following criteria are not met:

  • A score of 22 on the ACT Math section
  • or a score of 27.5 on the SAT Math section (520 for tests prior to March 2016)
  • or transferring acceptable Math college credit
  • or a score of 19 on the new ACT Writing Test Subscore (score of 7 on old scale of 2-12)
  • or a score of 25 on the SAT Writing Section (440 for tests prior to March 2016)
  • or a score of 18 on the ACT Combined English/Writing section
  • or MUSWA 3.5 or above
  • or COMPASS E-Write 7 or above
  • or transferring acceptable English college credit

After your transcripts are evaluated, we will notify you if you have or have not met the placement requirement. To submit previous test scores, the tests must have been completed within the past three years.

For more information regarding placement testing, please visit the Next Steps page.

Transfer Credits

Only applicable to students coming in with college credit either from a dual credit course or from a previous institution.

To learn how your courses transfer to the University of Montana, please see UM's Transfer Guide. The contents of this guide are subject to change at any time and course equivalencies are contingent upon the academic program and the general education requirements of the University of Montana. If a course or institution is not listed, it does not necessarily mean the course will not transfer; rather the information is not yet in our database.

You must send us your official transcripts in order to receive a personalized official transfer credit articulation. Please check out our Transfer Credits page for additional transfer information.

Home School Students

  • In addition to a completed application, please submit a written statement of curriculum including all courses that you have completed at the high school level. If you have completed a pre-packaged program and receive transcripts, then the transcripts are required.
  • Submit a letter of verification from the instructor(s). This can be a parent or an outside teacher that states they did instruct you.
  • Per Montana Board of Regents policy, all students must have a high school equivalency assessment designated by the Montana Board of Public Education to be admitted to any campus of the Montana University System. For students who complete their secondary education through home schooling or at unaccredited secondary schools, this requirement may be met by submitting scores from the ACT, SAT, or a recognized testing instrument such as the HiSET or GED.