Next Steps for Transfer Students

Here at UM we look forward to welcoming new students to Griz Nation. After you apply, please follow the steps below:

Submit Transcripts

Now that you've submitted your application for admission, we need official transcripts from each college or university you’ve attended or are currently attending. If you are currently enrolled at another school, please send a current official transcript and then a final official transcript after you complete your final term.


All college level (100 level and above), degree-applicable credits recorded on official transcripts from institutions that are regionally accredited at the time of your attendance will transfer. Official transcripts must be requested and sent directly from the institution to: University of Montana Office of Admissions, Lommasson Center Room 101, Missoula MT 59812. Submission of official transcripts issued from every regionally accredited institution a student previously attended are required for an application’s review, regardless of whether credit was earned or its applicability to your degree plan at UM. Please note that all faxed out-of-state transcripts are considered unofficial. However, those faxed directly from another Montana University System in-state institution with a macro-fax stamp are accepted as official.

Lommasson Center 101
32 Campus Drive 
Missoula, MT 59812


An unofficial self-evaluation of course work can be accessed through our Transfer Course Equivalency Guide, available online here or through your student Cyberbear account. This information can be printed from the web and is for reference only, but will be a helpful resource when you are being advised. The equivalencies listed are the most current and subject to change. If a course or institution is not listed it does not necessarily mean that the course will not transfer, just that the information is not yet in our database.

Official evaluations of transfer credits will be processed by your Admissions Evaluator in the Enrollment Services-Admissions Office only after all official transcripts have been received for each applicant. A final transcript is one that posts ALL graded coursework through your final term of attendance at each institution. Your Admissions Evaluator will determine the equivalency of the transfer course work to University of Montana. The Admissions Office also determines which courses fulfill General Education requirements. The transfer course description is compared to the UM course description. Courses generally matching in credit amount, level, and content are considered equivalent. Courses not matching are granted elective credit or elective credit with general eds.

Per BOR 301.5, students have the right to appeal their official evaluation by contacting the Admissions Office. If a student exercises the appeal rights set out in this policy, the review and a final decision must be completed by the class pre-registration date for the following academic term.  The student must initiate the appeal process, in a timely manner, in order to give the institution time to complete its review before the deadline described in the preceding sentence.

Please note: an evaluation will not be done for students who have previously earned a U.S. baccalaureate degree. General Education requirements are considered complete for these students.

NOTE: We cannot grant you an admissions decision until we have received current official transcripts

Activate Your UMConnect Email Account

Log in to your UMConnect Student Email account, and check it regularly. UMConnect serves as the official means of communication between students and the University of Montana, including information about registration, tuition and fees notifications, urgent announcements, etc. This is a very important step, as we will send you multiple important emails throughout the pre-Orientation process. If you prefer to forward this email to your personal account, you have that option, as well. View instructions on how to forward your UMConnect email.

To log into your UMConnect account, you will need to use your NetID, which you can find by clicking the "What's my NetID" link below the login. Your initial password will be the last six digits of your Student ID Number (begins with 790, and is located on your acceptance letter).


Congratulations! You have already applied for our scholarship program, as your completed application for admission is also your application for scholarships. You can expect to hear back about your possible scholarship award a few weeks after you have been granted admission.

If you want to be considered for a departmental scholarship, or in the case of a new Montana resident, a renewable scholarship, you should complete the General Application in the UM Scholarship Portal. Application deadlines vary by department and/or by opportunity.

To learn more scholarship opportunities at UM please visit the scholarship page.

Apply for Financial Aid

To be considered for the maximum amount of aid, please submit all application materials and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the priority deadline of December 1.

  • As soon as possible after October 1, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available online. Include the University of Montana school code 002536 as one of your college choices on the FAFSA.
  • Financial Aid Estimator-ACT has an estimator that allows you to enter information and obtain an estimate of your Expected Family Contribution for financial aid planning purposes.

To learn more, visit UM Financial Aid Office website.

Apply for Residence Life

*Distance-only Students Excluded

The Residence Life Office provides positive, safe and inclusive living environments on and off campus, which can be an integral part of your experience at UM. In October, the application will be available for Fall 2018 and Spring 2019.

NOTE: Transfer students are not required to live in campus housing, but are more than welcome to.

  • Make sure to complete the 'Activate Your UMConnect Email Account' step above prior to applying for housing.
  • Housing information will be mailed to you with your acceptance packet. To reserve a room in the residence halls, complete the registration form online and submit a $225 pre-payment.
  • Lewis and Clark Villages are primarily designed for single students at UM without dependents who have achieved 60 semester credits by the time of move-in.
  • UM also provides housing options for students with spouses and/or dependents. For more information, contact University Villages at (406) 243-6063.
  • For more information, contact Residence Life at (406) 243-2611, or visit the Residence Life website.
  • UM provides an Off-Campus Renter Center which assists students with an off-campus housing finder and rental advocacy.
  • To check your room assignment once assignments have been made can be done by assessing your Residence Life Portal.

The Davidson Honors College

The Davidson Honors College provides outstanding undergraduate students with extraordinary educational and cultural opportunities. Honors College students enroll in challenging courses and participate in special experiences outside the classroom that enhance the regular offerings and activities of the University. The Honors College is open to students in any academic major, and offers the intensive learning environment of a small liberal arts and sciences college within a larger research university.

To learn more visit the Davidson Honors College.


*Distance-only Students Excluded

As you prepare to attend UM, we want to make you aware of the state of Montana immunization requirements:

  • two (2) immunizations for Rubella and
  • two (2) immunizations for Rubeola

You must submit your Medical Requirement Form (which will be mailed to you in your acceptance packet), as well as verifiable documentations of your immunizations. You can also submit this information online by following these instructions. Please submit these documents as soon as possible to ensure a smooth transition to UM. For more information please call the Curry Health Center at (406) 243-2122.

Attend Transfer Transition or Complete your online orientation

Once you are admitted, You can attend the Transfer Transition program in early May or you will receive an email at the beginning of May with instructions on how to access your online orientation. Once you have completed either of these programs, you can communicate with your advisor to register for your courses. An on-campus orientation is optional for transfer students.

To learn more visit the Orientation page.

Course Registration

Here at UM we understand that as a transfer student, much of the college going process is familiar to you. In an effort to streamline this process there are several opportunities for you to get registered in your courses.

NOTE: There will be a hold on your registration until you have turned in your Medical Requirement Form and immunization records.

Student Employment and Internship Opportunities

The University of Montana offers many opportunities for student employment. The Student Employment website is designed to allow for you to search and apply online for part-time, on-and off-campus work study, non-work study, and volunteer positions.

Internship Services provides students with comprehensive services and coordination of the internship process.

You can meet with a Career Counselor to discuss your major and career options, resumes, job search, interviewing, etc. Together you can decide what next steps are best for you.

The Last Step!

Oh wait, that's it! The University of Montana does not have a formal acceptance process.

Time to celebrate. We look forward to seeing you on campus.